Tag as favorite Previous Topic Next Topic
Speak With Ancestor
Rideon Offline
#1 Posted : 20 August 2012 02:36:50

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hey,

Didn't know where else to put this so I guess here will do.

I'll be running a speak with ancestor rite at the gathering, I've never run a rite before so I don't really know what I'm doing ^^; and I don't really want to get harmed to the face.

So I wanted to know if you fine people could give me any tips on running a entertaining successful rite?

Cheers,

Joe
In faith,

Rideon Harrik
Chosen of Mithras
The Order of Mithras
Fozzy Offline
#2 Posted : 20 August 2012 10:51:37

Medals:

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Don't worry - there is no way of doing a rite correctly . . . they just make it up ;-)

• Make sure you read the rulebook on Speak with Ancestor again and again - highlight the relevent points and make sure you hit them (time, spellcards, format of THE question *Hint-hint*)

• Make it appropriate to the Ancestor you are speaking to (background/source material/research results linked to the speak with Ancestor should be available beforehand for the ref to read

• Speak clearly - Ancestors often have "Voices in their head"

• Relax, enjoy yourself and make sure that everyone else involved in the rite has fun too (sorry - can't tell you HOW to be entertaining)

That is all OOC advice - for IC advice, have a chat with the Incantors. (and one last tip - don't EXPECT to get Harmed in the face - try expecting something else) ;-)

The Infamous Fozzy
2 users thanked Fozzy for this useful post.
Rideon on 20/08/2012, planegate on 21/08/2012
Crinkle Offline
#3 Posted : 20 August 2012 13:07:50

Medals:

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
It's also worth remembering that 10 minutes is a long time - try not to do it all yourself. The more you can involve others in talking/explaining/participating, the more likely you'll have an interesting 10 minutes.

I guess that you don't need to be reminded that your question needs to be thought out beforehand, so that you aren't ambiguous.

Happy to discuss IC if you like, at the Guild or in camp.
1 user thanked Crinkle for this useful post.
Rideon on 20/08/2012
Meepenbump Offline
#4 Posted : 20 August 2012 20:08:56

Medals:

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I like to think of SWAs as little rituals to your ancestor - involve people, make them entertaining, use props if you like, make sure the people IC and OOC understand exactly what you want and most importantly - don't ask for anything that your ancestor won't know/ will find abhorrent.

Just like rituals, it's handy to have a bit of padding to fall back on in case you need time to think about the next bit or to fill in a bit of time (although if you do a good but slightly too short SWA you're not going to ruin everything!) Information about your ancestor, telling him/ her what you've done on your own to find the answers before resorting to a SWA and any information that you've already found are all good bits to fill in that time.

If you need help IC, the incantors are good at this sort of thing :)
IC: Meepenbump Ikile - Alashans, Unicorns and Incantors' guild
OC: Louise Crawford - Just a player
1 user thanked Meepenbump for this useful post.
Rideon on 20/08/2012
Sir Ophiuchus Offline
#5 Posted : 21 August 2012 22:29:28

Medals:

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Seconding "talk to the Incantors' Guild". They may have a huge amount of advice both IC and OC about paperwork, requirements, location, duration, safety precautions (depending on Ancestor)... :)
IC: Daire Ó Draoi
OC: Stephen from Ireland

Formerly Tomás Mac Carthaigh
Tag as favorite