Tag as favorite Previous Topic Next Topic
The rise of the magical pattern and the decline of corruption
pinktastic Offline
#1 Posted : 23 October 2012 09:53:08

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
With the growing increase of players and particularly monsters with magical patterns combined with a massive influx of vampires and paladins, has left the corruption spell list comparatively underpowered.

For a spell list where you only have access to half the number of spells of all other lists and no ability to counter magic it seems its big selling points of the past, fatal, disease and paralysis are far less effective and can no longer make up for its limitations. Compare this to total heal on the healing list which has become even more valuable with its ability to heal many (not all) special creature types.

Of course I haven't forgotten that you don't die after 4 years of getting it anymore which is good. I also realise some other spell lists are even more underpowered (high light incant anyone?).

Feel free to rip this to shreds, just my two cents.
planegate Offline
#2 Posted : 23 October 2012 11:04:47

Medals:

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Paralysis is amazing compared to all the other lvl 2 immob spells still, it lasts 50 seconds longer than the rest. Surely 80% of the field still arent immune to your list?

Healing & Corruption could do with a little love as could Mass fear though as an incantor makes me cry compared to Forbidding, but you would loose 50 seconds on Para i think.

High light may not be offensive but still for 10 mins your amazing, mass fear
Voice of Sanity - "Was that useful? Click Thank"
Yes I can be sarcastic, when you read the rulebook... i'll stop... a bit :D
pinktastic Offline
#3 Posted : 23 October 2012 11:34:49

Medals:

Quote:
Paralysis is amazing compared to all the other lvl 2 immob spells still, it lasts 50 seconds longer than the rest. Surely 80% of the field still arent immune to your list?

I partially agree with the effectiveness of paralysis but all the things I listed are likely to be immune. Also with the proliferation of sigils prot paralysis is relatively easy to get hold of. Also far more ppl are investing in immune to imob.

Mass fear is also terrible compared to forbidding (although neither are what they used to be as people can easily acquire immune to repel and immune to fear - damn good osp skills).

I think it would be interesting to see how much of the field are immune to fatal at this point. I'd guess it would be around 50%. I think if you compared that to those who are immune to harm, Mage bolt or even crush you can really see how that element of high corruption has become less effective.
hawkida Offline
#4 Posted : 23 October 2012 12:10:04

Medals:

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 45 post(s)
pinktastic wrote:
[quote]
I think it would be interesting to see how much of the field are immune to fatal at this point. I'd guess it would be around 50%. I think if you compared that to those who are immune to harm, Mage bolt or even crush you can really see how that element of high corruption has become less effective.

Which field? A Viper sanctioned event, or a Gathering? At the latter I'd say your estimates are VASTLY out and I'd guess it's low for the former.

This is from the point of view of a player who is in one of a number of factions that don't like unliving, and who are only just building up specials through ritual and other means. Fatal sure rips through my healing power at high speed and I doubt I'm revealing anything that most people couldn't guess.

As with many estimates, I think this sort of thing really depends on which corner of the field you're familiar with and it's easy to get a distorted picture of how things are overall.

=== Max ===

Characters: Graf Dog, Harts, 1108-???? | Megan Stone, Harts, 1106-1108
Harts website: http://www.hartsofalbion.co.uk
pinktastic Offline
#5 Posted : 23 October 2012 13:07:20

Medals:

I take your point that some factions may be less protected against fatal than others with a greater access to unliving. You may well be right that my estimate is well out in terms of immunity to fatal.

With the way the game has changed, far more players and monsters are completely immune to its effects than ever before. Compare the relative immunities to harm, magebolt and crush and it is easier to be immune to fatal than any others. Maybe I'm showing my age when fatal was a call to really be feared, where as harm has now taken its place.

My original point was that an increase in magical patterns has made corruption far less effective than almost any other high casting, especially in a feast world.

Dodgybren Offline
#6 Posted : 23 October 2012 23:23:07

Medals:

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I think you are grossly over estimating the amount of people immune to corruption effects in the field.
If you choose to go for corruption you are aware of the spells on the list and the limitations of them as well as the powers. As a plot writer and ref there are not as many people immune to the effects as you state and not as many monsters immune as you seem to think there are. Magical patterns are rarer then you seem to think they are.

As for the argument of you have no countermagic, you had the healing spell list before hand, it is one of the downsides of the list it doesnt get counter but it has great upsides, I have healing and I have never found not being able to counter a massive downside. Is this not what Iron wills are for?

You feel it is underpowered and I have to completely disagree with you, for a 10 os skill it is awesome and fun to play with. You get some of the best effects in my opinion such as paralysis which holds someoen still for 60 seconds and you can be subtle about unlike halt or freeze, Disease which stops regen which is extremely useful in a lot of situations, Chant of wasting, what a spell. and that is just to name three of them.
Bren Scouts 1ic.
all round dodgy Irish man
Uhlnasis Offline
#7 Posted : 24 October 2012 08:02:59

Medals:

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
As well as the points listed above (not that many people being immune to corruption etc) Corruption is also a roleplay skill. (Yes I am one of those crazy people who buy OSs for roleplay.) Corruption while useful for the fancy new spells it gives you, is also kick ass when it comes to enhancing your roleplay.
For example: There could be some big bad targeting healers, at which point you get to lord it over the healers because it's not targeting you specifically. Alternatively there could be a big bad targeting Corruptors, at which point you run for the hills.
Newblood, Irish guy
Sir Ophiuchus Offline
#8 Posted : 24 October 2012 11:27:20

Medals:

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 18 post(s)
pinktastic wrote:
Also with the proliferation of sigils prot paralysis is relatively easy to get hold of. Also far more ppl are investing in immune to imob.

If you have a high caster who's willing to regularly burn 4 power just to protect you from paralysis, all I can say is well done.

And Immune to Immobilisation is a Tier 5 Restricted OS that's taught only by the Scouts' Guild and Factions. I suspect very few people have it overall. In fact, I feel safe in saying that very few characters have even one Tier 5 OS.

pinktastic wrote:

I think, as others have said, that your perspective is skewed on this. I could probably count every person in my faction (admittedly, a non-unliving faction) who's immune to fatal on two hands.

Admittedly, I could count those immune to harm/magebolt/crush on two fingers, but still.

Honestly, it seems like you've much more a perception of power creep than actually exists. And comparing spell lists on the basis of their High Magic spells is a bit silly, since most casters will never get High Magic. That's just a fact.
IC: Daire Ó Draoi
OC: Stephen from Ireland

Formerly Tomás Mac Carthaigh
Dodgybren Offline
#9 Posted : 24 October 2012 15:10:31

Medals:

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Sir Ophiuchus wrote:
pinktastic wrote:
Also with the proliferation of sigils prot paralysis is relatively easy to get hold of. Also far more ppl are investing in immune to imob.

If you have a high caster who's willing to regularly burn 4 power just to protect you from paralysis, all I can say is well done.

And Immune to Immobilisation is a Tier 5 Restricted OS that's taught only by the Scouts' Guild and Factions. I suspect very few people have it overall. In fact, I feel safe in saying that very few characters have even one Tier 5 OS.

I can tell you not that many people have it, It is my guilds skill, I am lucky to have it and the amount of players with it is not a large number, Im betting I could name most of them without racking my brain.

As for having access to prot paralysis you need to have access to a high incantor who will spend 4 power on you as said, again you seem to grossly overestimate the amount of people with that skill and mindset out there. I think if you have access to it all good, not that many people do have access to it.
Bren Scouts 1ic.
all round dodgy Irish man
Remus Offline
#10 Posted : 24 October 2012 20:31:04

Medals:

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
High Spellcasting can be just as upsetting, There are so many people who have bought High Counter so Bolt/Freeze doesn't bother them and Glabal hit monsters make me very sad.
I'm not saying it's useless I'm just saying you're not the only one whose special move can be ignored.

I just don't bother with them and use other stuff.
IC
Remus - One of those Viper Fey types

OC
Chris
Gunhex Offline
#11 Posted : 25 October 2012 10:38:48

Medals:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think the jury is still out on the usefulness of Corruption versus other players. I certainly seem to run in to a lot of people who are immune to it, but then that might just be the people I'm fighting.

Where I think Corruption is failing however is versus monsters. I've lost count of the number of (monster) goblins or skaven who are immune to disease and paralysis. And you can guarantee that any big bad probably has a magical pattern these days, so in mass PvE battles Corruptors are effectively forced to only concentrate on the smaller monsters.

There is also a tendency, because of the lack of monster numbers, to up-stat most unliving encounters. Making unliving immune to Halt Unliving (as happens quite a lot) and giving them a high Dismiss/Control rank means most times it better for a Corruptor to just avoid the fight. A bit laughable for the supposed necromancers of the field. And shouting for a control wedge is just asking to get targeted by other players at the moment.

Add to that the average Corruptor has no armour, nor an armour spell, nor an immunity spell they can be granted by other Corruptors, and cannot counterspell. It can be quite dangerous when all your cool spells are by weapon blow!

I love having corruption as a list, but I honestly think it is the weakest of the lists out there. The roleplay definitely makes up for this, but I think the issue does need to be looked at. I don't think the list needs to be changed necessarily (and it won't be until rules 4), but I think careful monster statting will go a long way to making Corruptors feel a bit better about themselves. And isn't that what it is all about really? :)
Dantes of Melnibone
Master of the Corruptors Guild
Magister of the Storymancers Guild
planegate Offline
#12 Posted : 25 October 2012 12:29:46

Medals:

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Goblins and Skathen being immune is bad stating imho, I agree they shouldnt be immune to both if even one of them.

No armour is surely a flaw in your CS spend rather than anything else, its like a mage or incantor saying "but i am a spellcaster i can't fight".

Alot of spell lists could do with a little love and balancing, the amount of High casters i have seen change to Magecraft in recicent times is stupid, some days its really tempting but I will hang on and refuse personally as my flavour of casting is what i am about.
Voice of Sanity - "Was that useful? Click Thank"
Yes I can be sarcastic, when you read the rulebook... i'll stop... a bit :D
1 user thanked planegate for this useful post.
Fish12002 on 01/02/2013
Fozzy Offline
#13 Posted : 25 October 2012 13:49:58

Medals:

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I think better monster statting is called for . . . not a change to the list. I have used all (pretty much) of the spell lists available in the book (both as monsters and players) and have very rarely come up against a foe that made my spell list unplayably weaker . . .

And if I did - it was MEANT to be that way to smash my face in . . . But found other ways to deal with it.

As for the "massive" influx of Vampires and Paladins - there aren't that many of them ;-) . . . and they pay for their immunities with OSPs like the rest of us can . . . and in the downsides of being those Sliders too.

The Infamous Fozzy
d511kx Offline
#14 Posted : 25 October 2012 21:07:17

Medals:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Speaking entirely personally, the whole range of "Skill A is under-powered compared to Skill B, which is overpriced compared to Skill C, which isn't any use against Monster D" arguments are really missing the point. Selecting a character skill shouldn't be about whether it's balanced, or how it performs in the field, or whether it allows you to beat up the next monster or character you come up against.

Does a skill set, an OS, or a sliding special, or a lammie or a ritual result fit your character? Does it enhance your roleplay, or contribute to your experience and those of others? If the answer's yes, why does it matter if all it gives you is a copper a decade and the ability to cast "Free Mind" on a full moon when you're hit by a Mage Bolt?
OOC: Gareth Marklew
IC: Miles.
Fish12002 Offline
#15 Posted : 01 February 2013 15:33:50

Medals:

Yeah certain monster statting has been up statted where it shouldn't, but usually this is due to low monster numbers. If more people did there bit and monstered then it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Also I have seen some corruptors have some pretty bad luck. In one battle, on that part of the field where this corruptor was, there were about 5 monsters within a step and a swing of him, and I was the only one of them immune to fatal. Guess which one he used his "cause fatal wound" on?
IC: Verbrand, 2004-present, Viper

OOC: Jason Garfitt
Agent_Orange Offline
#16 Posted : 01 February 2013 16:40:35

Medals:

Just my two cents on this:

Corruption is freaking awesome. but like all skills is completely useless in the wrong place.

Against normal people you have you paralysis, disease fatals.
against unliving you have your attract, your halt and your control
against magicals .... well hit them, they have no rop and are a bugger to heal :P
with paladins your in trouble but there should be something that messes up your game plan otherwise what's the fun?

not to mention the ofton forgotten weapon of cold. it's so useful.

One point on the magical patterns, it's possible that the view on there numbers is skewed, the big bad last year was elemental who always seem to be magical patterns on high level ones. it'll be different next year. there's always a type of monster that is prevalent and that changes. when i had corruption it was unliving most of the time and it was fantastic to control so many. then it turned to demons i believe and i was a lot less effective but could still do things.
kirstar Offline
#17 Posted : 01 February 2013 16:51:51

Medals:

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Being just a normal fighter type I can tell you I fear paralsys and fatal and all the rest. I have spent OSps to be immune to repel and fear etc but you can still kill me stone dead is the time it takes me to hit you once with a sword.

Yes you need to then pund through my armour but you have 60 seconds of me being a hat stand.

Drace Lenoir
House GryphonDwarf
Captain of the Lifeguard.
Marshall 318

Tag as favorite