Tag as favorite Previous Topic Next Topic
Wanting to LARP
djohnson Offline
#1 Posted : 19 March 2013 16:28:11

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello All,

In need of some advice - I have been interested in having a go at LARP for a while now and want to try and get actually involved this year. The Gathering sits at the right time of year so i'm thinking of trying it out. The thing is, i'm a single parent and will be dragging a smallish but generally enthusiastic child about with me. My question is basically what should i expect? Has anyone got any advice for taking a child to The Gathering and/or general first time advice? What do the kids get up to?

I know the LT as a whole has a very family friendly reputation but are there factions that a small family group would fit better into? I like the idea of being a healer (+apprentice) of some sort but that's really as far as i've got and i would definitely prefer to be a part of a larger group (as ace as my son is, occasionally it's good to talk to another adult!).

Thanks in advance :)

Ananasii Offline
#2 Posted : 19 March 2013 17:47:44

Medals:

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 42 post(s)
LT are really good for kids - there's usually a whole bunch of them running around saving the world, particularly at the Gathering - and each faction has it's fair share of younger members.

From age 5 the kids can participate in what's known as Kids Plot, regardless of which faction they belong to - run by LT staff, specifically for the kids, it helps teach them the rules and makes them feel a part of what's going on around them.

Older kids - probably from about age 10-12 - sometimes feel that they want to involve themselves in larger things, and will sometimes be seen in the guilds in small groups doing various jobs and making themselves useful where ever they can, which is great, and I assume often do the same in the factions (I tend to spend around 90% in the guilds myself, so couldn't say for definite).
IC Kage-Kitsune Miso

OOC Wayne Caygill, just a player, nothing else
1 user thanked Ananasii for this useful post.
djohnson on 21/03/2013
Yal Offline
#3 Posted : 04 April 2013 09:51:01

Medals:

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 38 post(s)
I will add that Jaquie who run;'s the kids side of things is fantastic with the young larpers, teaching them as she goes and really engaging the kids in things that actually make a difference to the non kiddie side of things ;o)

My son has been going to events since he was 11, he turned 16 last year and is still eager to "get in there" ;o)

MP
Operor non adepto cattus iratus , vos mos non amo him ut sit iratus.
Rogarth Offline
#4 Posted : 30 May 2014 00:24:56

Medals:

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I've only just seen your message on the L.T forums.
As stated by Anansii and Yal, kids are pretty well catered for and each faction will have their own fair share of kids running around, certainly at the Gathering. My group (the Order of Mithras) is in the Gryphons and even though the faction itself is quite a small faction we have about a dozen kids running around most times and about half of that number is from our group alone.
I started bringing my son to events when he was10 and at first I had the same concerns as yourself but after getting in the field and seeing everyone's reaction and how many other kids Jack could play with my concerns quickly disappeared. The one thing you can guarantee is your lad won't be bored.

As for your character type, playing a healer will keep you away from combat enough so that you pick up the rules easily enough. Plus there are never too many healers.

Anyhow I hope that helps mate.
As these forums are a bit difficult to access at the moment you may find it easier asking any larp related questions on the various facebook group pages.

Hope you enjoy the Gathering mate

Dave
Spectemur Agendo - Let us be judged by our actions
Rogarth Gaelstrom
Order of Mithras
Gryphon

www.order-of-mithras.com
Tag as favorite