Tag as favorite Previous Topic Next Topic
New player, and possibly her sister and her friend AND me (dad)
Spanky Offline
#1 Posted : 11 November 2014 09:20:07

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Folks,

After many years of trying (and failing) to get me involved in LARPing, my good friend (you know who you are T) has taken the nefarious step of 'recruiting' my 14 year old instead, thus necessitating my assistance as her driver and recruiting me via the 'might as well LARP as I'm going to be here all weekend anyway' route :) In addition to my 14 yo, her younger sister (13) and her friend (he's 15) are also considering coming along at some point - there goes all my savings.

Anyway, now that I've set the domestic scene, I have a few questions:

1. Are there any factions that are more (or less) child friendly and, if so, what ones?
2. Are there any guilds that are more (or less) child friendly and, if so, what ones?
3. Why me?
4. As I understand it, some factions have events between the LT events. How can we attend these (so my daughter can start to find out about the system and meet people) if we can't make characters until the 2015 packs come out to book for the main LT events?
5. These forums seem VERY quiet for such an active activity, even the official LT threads. Is everyone doing their chatting elsewhere?
6. Is anyone interested in looking after me at events and filling me with mead and keeping them all occupied? *grin*

Cheers

Si
Crinkle Offline
#2 Posted : 11 November 2014 13:09:42

Medals:

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Si,
I'm sure you'll have a great time, the LT events are full of people of all ages and interests, and you should find something for all of you to get involved with, if you take the trouble to wander around and speak to people.

I wouldn't say there';s any particular faction that is good (or not) as far as child-friendliness goes. The Tarantula faction tends to be more of a nighttime faction and quiet in the mornings, if that makes a difference, but even then that's a generalisation, there are many exceptions.

As you mentioned, these boards are pretty quiet at present, and that's probably a symptom of Facebook pages getting a bit more attention. There are Facebook pages for LT itself, as well as guilds and factions. You might get a bit more response from that route.

My own faction (the Bears) is holding an event between LT events, during March. The official term is "Sanctioned Event" - the event isn't run by LT itself, but is typically arranged and organised by a faction or a guild, who then apply to LT for official sanctioning to use the LT rules and background.

So. have a look at Facebook, ask questions, and buy a couple of drinks for T!

1 user thanked Crinkle for this useful post.
Spanky on 11/11/2014
Spanky Offline
#3 Posted : 11 November 2014 18:51:45

Medals:

Thanks for that advice, much appreciated. Considering I worked very hard to LEAVE facebook, I'm really not sure I want to go back *grin*
Crinkle Offline
#4 Posted : 11 November 2014 22:51:33

Medals:

Hmm - well if you have a preference for any particular faction, I may be able to point you at their website. My "Job" in the Bears is a diplomat, so I do get around other factions. Most factions have a "Public" part of their website and chat forums where non-members can log in, introduce themselves and ask questions. So for example the Bears site is at www.bearsfaction.org.uk. You can have a look around the site, and if you have any questions you can register for the forums and ask away.

Hope that helps,
Stephe.
1 user thanked Crinkle for this useful post.
Spanky on 12/03/2015
kirstar Offline
#5 Posted : 08 December 2014 23:13:07

Medals:

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I will also pimp the Gryphons as well

We have a few teenagers around, more at the gathering of course. We are one of the smaller factions which does make it easier to get to know everyone. We are also the good faction and have the best cheese :)
Drace Lenoir
House GryphonDwarf
Captain of the Lifeguard.
Marshall 318

1 user thanked kirstar for this useful post.
Spanky on 12/03/2015
Spanky Offline
#6 Posted : 12 March 2015 09:22:10

Medals:

Well folks, after a lot of reading up and trawling through some good, some bad and some painfully confusing factions websites (assuming we could actually FIND your faction website) my daughter has settled on the Unicorns as her faction of choice.

Now all we need to do is to find out what groups are active and then which ones of them are suitable.

The online presence of this game REALLY doesn't help itself. In my opinion:

The LT site needs links to each faction website
Each faction website needs enough info on each group for new players to be able to make an informed choice

Having character generation that asks you to pick a group when the group/faction info is a PITA to find, really doesn't help :)
Crinkle Offline
#7 Posted : 12 March 2015 13:01:27

Medals:

That's an interesting comment. I'd say that LT have probably been too busy looking after the core business to continually maintain links to what are really independent websites that regularly change hosts and addresses. Add to that the Facebook pages that come and go, and it's quite a lot of work.

Having said that, of course it should be easier to get information about each of the factions if you're trying to make a decision. As someone with recent knowledge, which factions would you say do it best?

(And best of luck with the Unicorns, there are some very helpful and friendly people there).
Ananasii Offline
#8 Posted : 13 March 2015 21:05:34

Medals:

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 42 post(s)
To be honest, the fact that Si even found this forum is quite remarkable, given that it's not linked from the main LT website (it's been listed as "coming soon" for at least 2 years now, hence why they are very under used)

That aside, best of luck with the Unicorns - they're a very open and friendly bunch, so I'm sure you and your young ones will have a great time with them
IC Kage-Kitsune Miso

OOC Wayne Caygill, just a player, nothing else
Spanky Offline
#9 Posted : 04 May 2015 14:26:22

Medals:

Crinkle wrote:
That's an interesting comment. I'd say that LT have probably been too busy looking after the core business to continually maintain links to what are really independent websites that regularly change hosts and addresses...

I totally agree. However, factions and guilds and possibly even groups (as I understand it) are awarded 'IC stuff' just for existing. Why can't LT tie the award of 'stuff' to factions and guilds to them also having a live website/facebook page, the details of which are regularly passed to LT.

That way factions/guilds will find it easier to recruit members and LT get almost 'real time' links to their factions/guilds and any faction/guild that doesn't maintain a decent 'portal' to their information doesn't get the IC rewards.

Granted, I'm sure there is lots of stuff going on in the background but I think the system could easily be SO much better with a little more focus in the right places.

curious Offline
#10 Posted : 06 May 2015 14:27:58

Medals:

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
A reasonable list can be found here:

http://www.hartsofalbion.co.uk/ooc/resources/

It's not completely up-to-date by any means, so don't hang the messenger. If there are any amendments, can people send them to the Harts website admin.

I know there are facebook groups now as well.

Hope this helps.
Tag as favorite