Tag as favorite Previous Topic Next Topic
Armour use - wearing a helm?
3 Pages<123>
LeeB Offline
#21 Posted : 24 May 2011 15:31:51

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 19 post(s)
If there wasn't an issue.. why did LT once ban head hits?

And a side issue, the largest larp in europe which is known for more hardcore combat, including using shields as weapons and barging etc.. has put a complete ban on head hits, with threat of ejection from there event if you break the rule.
severus Offline
#22 Posted : 24 May 2011 21:09:04

Medals:

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Well if the combat is more hardcore then I can see why that system banned head hits. Although I gotta say anyone under those circumstances who tries to parry with their heads nearly deserves whatever happens to them for being such an idiot.
In LT, however, where there are rules provided to allow for head hits, if necessary as has been pointed out, I do not see a problem with them if they are safe. When you say that any blow to the head isn't safe, it obviously requires some sort of force, however minimal. If the "blow" is properly pulled to the role-play standard set out in the rules, it should pretty much only be a light tap. I understand, however, some people get worked up in the heat of the moment but that shouldn't tar every fighter who goes for the head with the same brush.
LeeB Offline
#23 Posted : 25 May 2011 00:51:45

Medals:

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 19 post(s)
While its arguable that a safely pulled blow to the head is ok (And yes I will argue that it isn't for multiple reasons).. this is assuming that they are stationary. If they move in an unexpected way that safely pulled blow could all to easily become a smack in the head.

It is though mute, currently the rules stand that the head is a viable target.. but should by the safety rules be avoided.. ergo safety over rules, thus people should avoid them as much as possible. I'd just like to see ref's and marshal's calling people on this clear safety rule when its blatant :)
Eddie Freewater Offline
#24 Posted : 25 May 2011 10:44:26

Medals:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
This may be a controversial post, and I do not intend to make a problem, but I feel it may be a good point.
I've been fencing for more than 2 years, for 18 months(ish) of that I have been fencing Sabre. Moving from foil to sabre is a bit strange as suddenly people can hit your arms which you never had to think about before and they can also hit you in the head. Now I know you see a fencing mask and it looks pretty tough, but the noise and and sensation of being hit in the head with a full arm crack to the head with a sabre is still very unpleasant and sometimes quite disorientating.

However in fencing there is no possibility of complaining to the ref about the opponent hitting you in the head too hard (Unless it's overly agressive apparently, which i've not seen called before) so you have a few options.
1. Score a point on your opponent before they smack you in the head again (OR in a LARP sense I suppose this would mean disable them.
2. See the slow and heavy blows moving in for your head and move to parry them. (I don't know how effective a parry with a larp weapon is, but a shield should do it?)
3. Move your feet and get out of the way of the opponent.

I don't think I'd ever call someone for head bashing as when I start LARPing properly I'm going to want it to be more like a battle than fencing, rather than having 'off target' parts, I intend to use technique to avoid annoying clunks on the head.

At the same time I realise that in some situations these techniques may be very difficult or impossible to apply and that therefore it might just be worth mentioning the strength of the blows to the other players?

I'm not flaming anyone here and please don't react with offence to this. I just wanted to add my tuppenceworth to this interesting thread.

Thanks, Eddie.
I'm as honest as they day is long.
The longer the daylight, the less I do wrong.
Hammerhydra Offline
#25 Posted : 25 May 2011 14:19:48

Medals:

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Your points about sabre fencing are relevant (I've been a sabreur for over 10 years myself) but there are a few things to bear in mind. Firstly, the weight of the weapon - LARP weapons can be far heavier than sabres, and are almost never as well-balanced. Although the speed of the weapon is less and impact area more, this is countered by the fact that the force of the blow can be much greater.

Scoring a point to disable the opponent - relies on a) you being fast enough to do so, b) you seeing the blow coming, and c) the person being able to arrest the blow in time after they have been disabled.

Parrying the blow - again this relies on awareness and speed (as does dodging), and if you're using sabre techniques leads to the added problem that the instimctual response to parrying an attack at head is to riposte across the face - and that's an escalation best avoided.

With regard to headgear (see moderators, I'm edging this back on-topic, although it might be best to give head shots a seperate thread in the General board) it isn't just the ruggedness of the fencing masks you have to consider, but also the fact that they offer full-face protection. At the Moot, I ended up in first aid after a spear strike at my head slipped down my face and scraped across my eye. The blow may have been properly pulled, but when it hits the wrong spot that's irrelevant.

Fencing techniques can be used to some effect in LARP - especially footwork - but with the best will in the world, you are going to get hit, and sometimes you will be hit too hard. Even if you are happy to take a few bruises, bear in mind that the next person your assailant fights might be more delicate, so it is always sensible to report anything you feel is unsafe.

On the flip-side, a useful training technique for those who want to control the strength of their blows is to practice 'double-tapping' hits - it gets you used to pulling the blow (just don't try and use it in combat).
Eddie Freewater Offline
#26 Posted : 25 May 2011 14:45:41

Medals:

Hammerhydra, as I said before I've not actually had a chance to try LARP combat yet, I'm visiting my girlfriend's university at the weekend and hoping to meet with their club to see how it all goes down. The points you've made are very strong and I understand exactly what you mean. Thanks for your explanations.

Regarding parrying/scoring in advance, I was of the understanding that these were heavy blows, which are almost always slower, but having said that I realise you're not always facing your opponent and not always just fighting one opponent.

Would it not be adviseable for people who are concerned by these head-hits to use some form of head protection in this case? I know I intend to wear a helmet of some design when I fight as I will feel alot safer even with just a scrap of leather between the weapons and my face.

I think I need to gain a better understanding of all this before I get involved with indepth discussions :)

Thanks Hammerhydra.
Eddie.
hawkida Offline
#27 Posted : 25 May 2011 15:11:51

Medals:

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Eddie Freewater wrote:

Would it not be adviseable for people who are concerned by these head-hits to use some form of head protection in this case? I know I intend to wear a helmet of some design when I fight as I will feel alot safer even with just a scrap of leather between the weapons and my face.

I think I need to gain a better understanding of all this before I get involved with indepth discussions :)

You've just brought the conversation full circle, I'm afraid. People can wear such things for protection if they want to, but the rules state that if a caster is in anything greater than light armour (which useful head protection would be) then they can't cast their ranged spells.

As to your comments about fencing and so on - in an honour duel then perhaps very relevant, in mass combat, though, rather less so. Remember you're going to start off in a group of people facing your enemy, but the enemy will break through your lines, some people will fall and be picked up by healers, separating them from the original main group. This continues to the point where most people, at some point, will have the enemy both behind and in front of them. They may be entirely encircled, they may just have one guy who snuck through... Strategies that involve "not getting hit" are pretty much limited to cowering under a shield or running away. Fast footwork and similar other stuff might help you, but it won't help a lot. Even before the lines are broken, you are facing several opponents at once. You may find three people target you at once with their weapons - no parry will avoid all of that.

=== Max ===

Characters: Graf Dog, Harts, 1108-???? | Megan Stone, Harts, 1106-1108
Harts website: http://www.hartsofalbion.co.uk
planegate Offline
#28 Posted : 25 May 2011 15:26:17

Medals:

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
You can make head protection that is still light but effective, for example steel toecap boots arent heavy armour ;)

Doesnt help the main point of the thread but it still can be done, make your head armour look like light.
Voice of Sanity - "Was that useful? Click Thank"
Yes I can be sarcastic, when you read the rulebook... i'll stop... a bit :D
Eddie Freewater Offline
#29 Posted : 25 May 2011 17:34:48

Medals:

Hawkida, that's fair enough. I did mention that things may well be different when faced with a few people at once. Even then though wouldn't getting out of the way make sense? I find it hard to believe you can achieve much standing facing 3 opponents, helmet or not?

Eddie.
hawkida Offline
#30 Posted : 25 May 2011 18:13:07

Medals:

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Eddie Freewater wrote:
Even then though wouldn't getting out of the way make sense? I find it hard to believe you can achieve much standing facing 3 opponents, helmet or not?

No, not always. A few possibilities:

- You're in a line fight. You're at the front with allies to your left and right and behind you, the opponents are similar. From pure bad luck, the guys in front of you directly and diagonally all go for you at once.
- You're protecting a rite or faction gate or something from oncoming enemies - you have armour and body dev, they fall down after a few hits.
- Your ally is on the floor being healed, in a minute he and his healer will get back up and join you in the fight.
- You know you might fall, but there are healers to pick you up and you have some in character reason to not turn tail, be it honour, or decoy or delaying tactic.
- The enemy is after you for some reason, where you go, they will follow. Standing and facing them means you'll take more hits but they're not a moving target and your allies can work together in taking them down.
- They are hitting you for normal damage and someone is casting a spell on you that makes it ineffective, it might hurt the player, but the character isn't feeling it.
- You're the last one standing among your clump of people, but you can see a whole load of your friends approaching the enemies from behind.

=== Max ===

Characters: Graf Dog, Harts, 1108-???? | Megan Stone, Harts, 1106-1108
Harts website: http://www.hartsofalbion.co.uk
1 user thanked hawkida for this useful post.
Eddie Freewater on 26/05/2011
Xavin Offline
#31 Posted : 25 May 2011 18:18:48

Medals:

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Eddie Freewater wrote:
Hawkida, that's fair enough. I did mention that things may well be different when faced with a few people at once. Even then though wouldn't getting out of the way make sense? I find it hard to believe you can achieve much standing facing 3 opponents, helmet or not?

Depends on your and their skills (both IC stats and OOC ability), equipment, how used they are to working together, circumstances, your and their aims etc.

To take an extreme example, assume you're skilled OOC with LRP fighting, you have the double body-dev CS, Armour Master OS, you're wearing a suit of heavy armour, and wielding an artefact sword with a shield. You know your mates are due to show up in a few minutes.
You're fighting 3 guys on your own, in an area under the ritual of peace. They have a normal 1-handed weapon each, no shield, no armour, and 1 LHV.
They'd like to take you down, but they don't really want to get killed doing it. They've not really worked together before, so are quite likely to get in each other's way rather than fight effectively as a team.

They have to wound you twice on a single location before that location stops working, and they've got to get through 4 points of armour on the location first (i.e. they need to hit you 6 times on a location to have any effect at all on your ability to fight). They can't breach the Ritual of Peace so, at worst, you're going to end up unconscious, then get rescued by your mates.
You, on the other hand, only have to hit one of their locations once to disable it - and if you hit it twice then they're bleeding to death. So they're probably not very keen to press the attack - they'd each be much happier if one of the others would risk getting wounded in the attack so that they can take advantage of any opening that might leave in your defences.

In those circumstances you can almost certainly take them out in a few seconds while suffering no more than a couple of hits of armour damage.
Sure, I've stacked the odds heavily in your favour with that example, but not nearly as much as I could have.
IC:- Lieutenant the Right Honourable Xavin Larson, Baron of Southampton
Company of the Blackened Staff
Lifemaster (Retired) of the Healers Guild
OOC:- Rich
1 user thanked Xavin for this useful post.
Jules Offline
#32 Posted : 25 May 2011 18:48:32

Medals:

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Xavin wrote:
... you have the double body-dev CS, Armour Master OS, you're wearing a suit of heavy armour, and wielding an artefact sword with a shield.
They have to wound you twice on a single location before that location stops working, and they've got to get through 4 points of armour on the location first (i.e. they need to hit you 6 times on a location to have any effect at all on your ability to fight).

If you have double-body dev ( =3 hits/location), then they have to wound you three times to a single location to stop it working (so 7 hits in all to get through the armour too). :)
1 user thanked Jules for this useful post.
PeterGorrell on 27/05/2011
Xavin Offline
#33 Posted : 25 May 2011 22:36:50

Medals:

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Well done, you caught my deliberate error.

*cough*

What? It was worth a try... :-)
IC:- Lieutenant the Right Honourable Xavin Larson, Baron of Southampton
Company of the Blackened Staff
Lifemaster (Retired) of the Healers Guild
OOC:- Rich
1 user thanked Xavin for this useful post.
Eddie Freewater Offline
#34 Posted : 26 May 2011 18:17:24

Medals:

Thanks guys. More to all this armour stuff than I understand. I might be ready for the gathering at least!! I need to join a faction and get me some kit first I suppose!
Thanks guys.

Eddie.
Dirrios Offline
#35 Posted : 26 May 2011 21:24:32

Medals:

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have been following this thread for a few days now and i would like add my 2 pence if thats cool i have been larping since i was 15 when a friend from my fencing team introduced me to it i am a foil and epee user and my friend is a sabre user in my experience of a lot of different systems, LT being my favourite, your likely to get hit in the head, and i have been many times this has never made me want use a helm purely on the basis that i have never found one i liked however this year whilst re-rolling a new char i found a helm i actually liked and spent some time deliberating i decided not to bother and go with a mask and a hat as i prefer full vision and find that hits to the helmet are far more disorientating than straight hits to the head, i recall several years back a popular character dressed as a full sized cow possibly a minotaur had a large 2 handed hammer i had fought him several times and his hit were good and i enjoyed the combat however at 1 great battle he was monstering and not using his hammer but a staff and i took a hit to the head which really hurt it was a straight down hit to the top of the skull and mid combat he stopped after seeing the disgruntled look on my face and apologised as he wasnt used to the weapon and then left to use a weapon he felt safe to use. I find this is the attitude of most players that if they arent safe with a weapon or have hurt someone they will apologise and/or pull out of combat, this is why LT is still after 10 years one of my favourite systems

hope this helps
Dirrios

Faction-Vipers

2 users thanked Dirrios for this useful post.
PeterGorrell on 27/05/2011, Eddie Freewater on 27/05/2011
Fisty Offline
#36 Posted : 27 May 2011 11:42:14

Medals:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
In my experience of LRP combat I would say that any blow can be unsafe. I teach people to aim their blows as flailing is really dangerous and will result in pods / eye sockets / etc. I cannot stress strongly enough that we're here to roleplay. LRP is not a sport. Being faster than the other guy is great but again if it sacrifices safety I'd prefer to look good and fight at a kind of exaggerated hollywood style aka Big Blows or 3/4 speed, and lose the fight, than be speedy tippy tappy and then have to apologize for whacking someone in the eye. So for me it comes down to this when I practice for events or when I try to show safe ( and no, I'm not getting into a debate about whether there is such a thing ) combat to newbies: Can you aim at the top of my head and pull your blow ? If you can do that then you can aim at my body / legs / whatever, and pull your blow. Unsafe head hits suggest to me that the person delivering them is unsafe under any circumstances and should be avoided. When I fight a colossus in full plate calling crush by blow and not wearing a helmet, I will be aiming to finish the fight quickly. If his head is open and I can take the shot I will. I admit I make a point of going for nice spongy maces and hammers, but all the same, the guys at our local LRP ban head hits and when they get to an LT event I honestly think 50 % of them are not very safe. There is an element of risk in any physical activity. Sure, I can jink when you aim for my skull and wham ! I catch a sword in the teeth, but I can jink when you go for my leg and catch it in the pods. Banning target areas will result in complacency and inevitably from there, more injuries. Playing nicely with others and not being hyper competitive on the other hand, I firmly believe will reduce the need for OOC helm use. Just my tuppence so to speak.
1 user thanked Fisty for this useful post.
Eddie Freewater on 27/05/2011
stormknight Offline
#37 Posted : 30 May 2011 16:59:41

Medals:

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I really don't think that one-on-one fights are an issue, unless one of the combatants is purposefully aiming for the head.

Consider larger skirmish encounters in the dark, where 10-20 monsters are attacking the area around a faction gate. The majority of head hits I see in those circumstances are where someone (player or monster) becomes aware of someone behind them and turns and swings. This is especially relevant if one person is 6'6" and the other a bit over 5' say.

The other one is full battle situations, where there's shield wall vs. shield wall. Typically the only open targets are heads and weapon arms. There are LOTS of head hits in those situations and anyone taking part in a shield wall confrontation should be fully aware that they WILL get hit in the head.

Going off-topic perhaps, but a long-time issue I have with the hobby is that anyone can turn up and swing a sword at you, without having had even basic safety training. You're trusting your safety and well being to your opponents not doing something stupid.

Pretty much ANY semi-contact martial arts or team sport has a minimum of training before participants are allowed to take part properly.

I'm not suggesting that the LT enforce minimum safety training on all players, as the admin overhead would be huge, but it's something that's concerned me over the years, after myself and friends being injured by hits that I feel should never have happened.
Rich G // Raven // Wolf Faction
1 user thanked stormknight for this useful post.
Eddie Freewater on 30/05/2011
Jake Offline
#38 Posted : 31 May 2011 23:46:48

Medals:

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Back to the original rules query, I seem to recall a rule which said you were always assumed to be wearing a helmet, even if you didn't have a physrep; I assumed that to be to discourage head hits. Was that imagined?
OC: Jake Riddoch
IC: Private Word, 95th Foot & Mouth, Vipers.
stormknight Offline
#39 Posted : 01 June 2011 02:24:03

Medals:

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Jake wrote:
Back to the original rules query, I seem to recall a rule which said you were always assumed to be wearing a helmet, even if you didn't have a physrep; I assumed that to be to discourage head hits. Was that imagined?

I'm certain I recall such a rule, WAY back. May have even been the Earthworks stuff before the Lorien Trust officially started? I'm pretty sure there was also a, "Body dev doesn't count for the head, as you can't build up effective muscle on your head to help absorb damage"

Whichever, it's quite some time ago now!
Rich G // Raven // Wolf Faction
DM Offline
#40 Posted : 01 June 2011 11:56:04

Medals:

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 78 post(s)
"..., as you can't build up effective muscle on your head ... "

They clearly don't know some of the people I know!
I am a paladin of The Panda. Fear me, apostrophe criminals.
Tag as favorite