Tag as favorite Previous Topic Next Topic
Balance: New Person to system VS Established player new character.
4 Pages123>»
Sharky Offline
#1 Posted : 02 March 2012 10:04:14

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have had a thought on this and what to throw out an idea for consideration.

I understand that we need new blood in system and like what LT has done to encourage this.

A New player gets 50 bonus OSP's on there first char, an established player has only what OSP's they had in the bank at the time of there char death.

If LT were to introduce a system where for each year your char survives you get 10 osp put to one side that can only be used on a new char then this would in my humble opinion.

1. Get past the power balance issue.

2. Reward existing players for there continued support to the system.

3. Help soften the blow of loosing a character you have been playing a long time.

4. Help stop people walking away from system when they loose a longterm char.

What do other people think ?
OC: Sharky (aka Karl)
IC: Jonathon Karlennon, Commander the Knights of Albion.
lalacollins Offline
#2 Posted : 02 March 2012 10:34:31

Medals:

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 28 post(s)
The new player OSP thing is a marketing exercise only. It is designed to attract brand new players into the system. The sooner people realise this and stop whining about it the better.

It is not a retention tool as it is up to players to decide whether to stay within the system or not based on their roleplay experience and general level of satisfaction with the game as it is played.

Established players receive OSPs as part of their longevity in the system (whether they've played 1 character or 10). Some never spend their OSPs at all while others spend them as fast as they are earned. That is their right and privilege.

The fact that you've spent all your OSPs on a char and it died - tough. You decided not to "save some for later" and please remember it was your own decision and not LT's.

As far as I can tell the system is designed for characters to learn more as they get older not for players to be handed 40 OSPs just because they retire their character or it dies.

On the other hand I do think there is a case for "refunding" OSPs for characters dying over winter. It does seem a little harsh that you've spent and lost OSPs for something you wouldn't have been able to use until the first mainline.

*lights paper and waits for fireworks*

1 user thanked lalacollins for this useful post.
DM on 02/03/2012
Sir Ophiuchus Offline
#3 Posted : 02 March 2012 13:43:20

Medals:

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 18 post(s)
lalacollins wrote:
On the other hand I do think there is a case for "refunding" OSPs for characters dying over winter. It does seem a little harsh that you've spent and lost OSPs for something you wouldn't have been able to use until the first mainline.

This I agree with. However, based on the LT's response on another thread on this forum, they don't seem to have any intention of changing it.
IC: Daire Ó Draoi
OC: Stephen from Ireland

Formerly Tomás Mac Carthaigh
planegate Offline
#4 Posted : 02 March 2012 13:54:35

Medals:

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I see both Karls and lalas sides of the argument i don't think either are wrong. Karls idea sounds like the easiest to implement, while lalas sounds fairer but unfortunately a load of paperwork.

The problem is there is no retention policy while there is a recruitment one, its mostly an issue or appearing unfair which always upsets people.

The bigger issue that we have seen with OSs being so important in todays game (post cataclsym) that it makes people not want to die or take risks with there power/knowledgeable characters, the fix (i think) is linked to the original thing Karl was talking about.

Retirement: Player gets credited Half of there spent OSs to a max of 100 (may spend half instantly)
Death: Player gets credited Quarter there spent OSs to a max of 50 (may spend all instantly)

At least this way people will fear death less but not have to feel like there cheated, there are no free OSPs more a thank you for remaining with the system. Ofc when you insta spend your refund (as per a new player) that is your learning slots for the year used up so its not a giant advantage just a step back into the game so you can start a new character with a story to back it up.

I agree that OSs arent needed for RP but everyone likes having something.
Voice of Sanity - "Was that useful? Click Thank"
Yes I can be sarcastic, when you read the rulebook... i'll stop... a bit :D
Honestmistake Offline
#5 Posted : 02 March 2012 16:25:07

Medals:

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I'm with Planegate but with a slight modification. Refund half the spent OSP an character death/retirement but cap this at 50 and insist it is spent at character creation exactly as it would be for new players.
1 user thanked Honestmistake for this useful post.
Fish12002 on 27/03/2012
Salem Red Offline
#6 Posted : 02 March 2012 19:43:37

Medals:

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Honestmistake wrote:
I'm with Planegate but with a slight modification. Refund half the spent OSP an character death/retirement but cap this at 50 and insist it is spent at character creation exactly as it would be for new players.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This would be awesome!
This character is now deceased, You will not get an IC response without a rite...
Domo230 Offline
#7 Posted : 03 March 2012 00:19:39

Medals:

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I'm not a fan of it myself but I generally disapprove of players (as opposed to characters ) getting an advantage because they have been going to events longer. If a character has been around ages then it's fair that they would be stronger but having a new character more powerful because the player has been around for ages seems really unfair.

It just seems like people are making more and more rules to increase the OSPs people get, although I will admit that doing it while limiting it to 50 Osps max sounds like something many players would be interested in.
planegate Offline
#8 Posted : 03 March 2012 02:41:38

Medals:

Is it needed? no, but will it make paying customers happy without massive advantage? yes.

The reason why I put retirement higher was because its not death its someone giving up there character, but the number isnt really important. There would have to be a check that people haven't been naughty then tried to retire to get loot & osps back though.
Tort Offline
#9 Posted : 03 March 2012 05:26:39

Medals:

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Just to put in my random 2p...

Personally I don't think retirement should get a refund. As you pointed out it could be more open for abuse, but also I feel it discourages roleplay. You tired of your character, speak to your plot teams! There are plenty of ways for them to loose their life IC during time-in that can leave lasting memories and stories... or hell you can have your character loose their mind from a traumatic event and become somewhat suicidal running head first into danger, again could end with a good story to tell, say if your suicidal sacrifice managed to distract the enemy for long enough for your allies to transport away, you'd be a hero!

But otherwise I'm all for some way of having a retention scheme that equals the recruitment scheme.

Though I will admit while I agree with the policy of Capped at 50 OSPs and have to spend from the same lists as new players (so therefore 100% equalling the new player scheme) I absolutely dread the idea of ever having to play a healer without Advanced Healing especially at a small event as it's life saving! That said my next few concepts I've got lined up aren't healers so it'll be a while anyway.
Tooka Fatal
Advanced 'eeler from de Uzzzzzzz
Dean of the College of Life in the Healers Guild
1 user thanked Tort for this useful post.
Salem Red on 03/03/2012
Steve Lewis Offline
#10 Posted : 03 March 2012 19:47:49

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Global Moderator, Moderator

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 15 post(s)
As originally designed, OSPs were the reward for existing/ongoign customers. Then the "new customer" incentives were introduced to ensure that new customers didn't start with too much of a disadvantage when compared to the existing/established characters. And of course I think that we all want to welcome new entrants to the hobby.

As for where the balance lies, I don't think that we'll achieve a consensus view on that...
Steve Lewis
Fugitive from responsibility
Forum Moderator
IC: Sir James Olivier, Gentleman of the Highway & Culinary Architect
planegate Offline
#11 Posted : 06 March 2012 13:42:38

Medals:

It would however encourage more pvp and players taking risks with there characters, that can only be good.
Ananasii Offline
#12 Posted : 06 March 2012 14:50:58

Medals:

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Interesting point of view -

I had a friend come along last year, and sadly their character died at one of the main events (the one I couldn't get to) - their reaction to the sudden down power meant of their character (ie not getting the same options for their new character as their original one) was one of shock and disappointment.

Honestly, if a player needs an extra 50 OSPs to "entice" them to try the system, then loses them through misfortune, I cant really see that player continuing with the system (thankfully, my friend had a great time, and was already sold without anything extra)
IC Kage-Kitsune Miso

OOC Wayne Caygill, just a player, nothing else
Remus Offline
#13 Posted : 07 March 2012 19:23:11

Medals:

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
When this character goes I'm off to play a different system - purely because other systems seem to want me.

That's fine (don't get me wrong I like the LT system) but there's nothing to make me stay.

You have some fierce competition out there, fight for my custom.
IC
Remus - One of those Viper Fey types

OC
Chris
chastisement Offline
#14 Posted : 07 March 2012 21:17:58

Medals:

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I can recall when OSPs were mostly pointless bits of laminated card you got when you pre-booked, and the skills available were not great and horribly expencive.

I guess thats why I dont see much of a problem with OSPs and character death at the moment, (that and Its quite easy to build them up).
The first osp I bought was "Climb walls" , I even joined the scouts guild JUST so I could get it cheaply (my other motive for buying it was that I was fed up of walking around factions trying to find the gate..that and the REFS started not allowing us to winch people over.). I then did not buy anything till 2007/8ish.

But then then that type of "character progression" did not really seem to be the point of the LT and I guess it was countered by the old free rank skills, which I enjoyed even if they were open to abuse.
(I miss when Mass fear had a rank... ah the days of rank 7..)

I am not sure there is a way to create a sensible system that both entices new players and rewards old players, without creating game balance problems. (and no matter what some people will complain).

Do you reward the character or the player is big question I think would need to be decided.
A small bonus to new CHARACTERS is fine in my opinion, it entices new players and if they then get hooked then awesome!
Something to reward old PLAYERS would be interesting if it could be done, perhaps free/ discounted early entry passes?

I think some skills need looking at more than we need some bonus scheme though.
Some skills which would be awesome to have IC are really just a waste of "brain slots" and OSP points.

DavidG/Corleth
Remus Offline
#15 Posted : 08 March 2012 10:39:38

Medals:

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
The system is now based on how you book for an event rather than how you play at that event.

It is very simple to keep it balanced and equal - give everyone 50 prebook only OSPs once a year.
Job done. Newbies and current players are now on equal footing.
IC
Remus - One of those Viper Fey types

OC
Chris
planegate Offline
#16 Posted : 08 March 2012 13:24:32

Medals:

If you mean you don't like pre book os's then yes i agree but not quiet sure what you mean, seems a bit off topic.
lalacollins Offline
#17 Posted : 08 March 2012 13:45:20

Medals:

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Newbies get osps as incentive to come and play.

Regular players get osps as retention tool - the more you come the more you get - the more you get the more you learn.

Your character died and you didn't save any OSPs for later - your own fault not anyone elses especially not LT's.

What's the issue? Oh, you want LT to give you even more osps just because you died/retired? No, not fair on anyone and the system just ends up with a relentless cycle of people ramping up their new characters as fast as they can.

To be fair - I could probably (and did) play Peggy with the minimum of stuff "learned over winter". I just chose to spend my osps on things that were useful to the Faction and I do have a few green tokens saved in the Bank for later should she die or I get bored of hauling the entire contents of my shed to site.

It really is down to you and how you want to develop your character or not as the case may be.
1 user thanked lalacollins for this useful post.
Domo230 on 10/03/2012
DM Offline
#18 Posted : 08 March 2012 18:19:17

Medals:

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Remus wrote:
give everyone 50 prebook only OSPs once a year.

That is effectively what one does get if you prebook for all 4 main events: 4 x 10, + 10, =50

What a new players gets is to spend some of those (unspent not banked) at that time, whereas an existing player has have stuff banked from the previous year.

Do new players get the 50 to spend prebook AND the 10 per event???
I am a paladin of The Panda. Fear me, apostrophe criminals.
Tort Offline
#19 Posted : 08 March 2012 18:44:49

Medals:

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Yes they do, I know I trained (IC, on behalf of the Healers Guild) some newbies who had revive from newbie bonus how to Advance Heal.
Tooka Fatal
Advanced 'eeler from de Uzzzzzzz
Dean of the College of Life in the Healers Guild
Ananasii Offline
#20 Posted : 09 March 2012 17:39:43

Medals:

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Technically, they shouldn't - as stated on the new player booking form, and buy one of forum mods/LT staff on here, the bonus 50 OSPs replace the 10 OSPs from their first main event.

However in practice, this is rarely the case - I've not heard of anyone not getting the full amount of OSPs (ie 50 plus 10 per event), though it may depend on who processes their booking forms
IC Kage-Kitsune Miso

OOC Wayne Caygill, just a player, nothing else
Tag as favorite