Remus - One of those Viper Fey types

OC
Chris
Sir Ophiuchus Offline
#2 Posted : 26 November 2012 21:34:22

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Oof, that's one of those famously messy ones, isn't it?

It's my understanding (NOT A RULES PERSON) that you do know if you're being discerned (a la Discern Unliving), because otherwise it makes things like the OS Shield Dismiss Level fairly pointless. I've seen it played that way in character.

However, the "Healer discern" (strictly speaking, a detect: "Detect Wounds, Pattern Effects, Poisons, and Diseases") may work differently. I've seen it played both ways.
IC: Daire Ó Draoi
OC: Stephen from Ireland

Formerly Tomás Mac Carthaigh
Rich Whitaker Offline
#3 Posted : 27 November 2012 00:38:04

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Global Moderator

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 62 post(s)
The published rules do not specify whether or not the target of a discern is aware of it.
Unless stated otherwise by an applicable lammie or loresheet, or a ref/marshal ruling for a specific occasion, it is up to the target to decide whether or not they wish to be aware of it.

Edit to add: Note that both the discern call and the response are OOC calls - only the person performing the discern should be aware of the response IC, and good roleplaying would suggest that the target should only be aware of exactly what happened and who did it if they have reasonable grounds to do so ("that guy was looking at me funny for about 10 seconds then I got that itchy feeling at the back of my neck" does constitute reasonable grounds).

If someone wants to ensure that the target of a discern is not aware of who performed it then they may request that a ref or marshal obtain the response from the target.
Rich Whitaker
Forum Moderator (yes, that means this post is official unless it explicitly states otherwise)
2 users thanked Rich Whitaker for this useful post.
Sir Ophiuchus on 27/11/2012, Fish12002 on 12/03/2013
DM Offline
#4 Posted : 30 November 2012 12:38:55

Medals:

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 78 post(s)
[canofworms?] Perhaps all Discerns should actually be "Cantrips" costing no power but requiring Casting [/canofworms?]
I am a paladin of The Panda. Fear me, apostrophe criminals.
Sir Ophiuchus Offline
#5 Posted : 30 November 2012 14:40:56

Medals:

DM wrote:
[canofworms?] Perhaps all Discerns should actually be "Cantrips" costing no power but requiring Casting [/canofworms?]

[canofworms2] Perhaps the vocals for a healer checking someone should be "Healer Discern". Or "Delve Pattern".

d511kx Offline
#6 Posted : 30 November 2012 23:00:30

Medals:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
DM wrote:

Why?
OOC: Gareth Marklew
IC: Miles.
Ananasii Offline
#7 Posted : 01 December 2012 01:33:15

Medals:

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 42 post(s)
d511kx wrote:
DM wrote:

Why?

I can only think of two reasons -

1. To limit who can learn the skills to discern (currently anyone can learn any Discern OS)

2. To make the discerns themselves counter-able (which has much further implications)

Sir Ophiuchus wrote:
[canofworms2] Perhaps the vocals for a healer checking someone should be "Healer Discern". Or "Delve Pattern".

What is wrong with the current "Detect Wound, Pattern Effect, Poison or Disease"?
Does exactly what it says on the tin, making it clear what it can and cant pick up, and since you've got to spend a bit of time concentrating anyway, reducing the time it takes to say it doesn't matter
IC Kage-Kitsune Miso

OOC Wayne Caygill, just a player, nothing else
Sir Ophiuchus Offline
#8 Posted : 01 December 2012 18:04:23

Medals:

Ananasii wrote:
Sir Ophiuchus wrote:

What is wrong with the current "Detect Wound, Pattern Effect, Poison or Disease"?
Does exactly what it says on the tin, making it clear what it can and cant pick up, and since you've got to spend a bit of time concentrating anyway, reducing the time it takes to say it doesn't matter

Because it doesn't actually do what it says on the tin.

A Control is a Pattern Effect, for example, but it doesn't get picked up by a Healer's scan.

Edit to give a detailed answer:

Here are the canonical Pattern Effects. The ones that are actually picked up by a Healer discern are in bold. The ones that are instantaneous or otherwise irrelevant for detection are in italics.

Rules 3 Pattern Effects wrote:
Attract Unliving
Chant of Sanctuary
Chant of Wasting
Control Ancestral
Control Daemon
Control Elemental
Control Unliving
Decay
Detect Unliving
Disease
Embody Unliving
Fatal Wound
Halt Unliving
Heal Fatal Wound
Heal Wound
High Control Ancestral
High Control Daemon
High Control Elemental
High Control Unliving
High Countermagic
High Dismiss

Paralysis
Protection from Paralysis
Remove Decay
Remove Disease
Remove Paralysis

Repair Unliving
Shield from Corruption
Speak with dead
Total Heal

Everything that isn't bold or italic should be detectable by a "Detect Pattern Effects", but is consistently ruled to not be detectable by a Healer's scan.

If it was actually Detect Pattern Effects, I should know if someone I discerned was under a Protection from Paralysis, a Control Elemental, and a Chant of Sanctuary, for example.

Edit 2: Note that discerning for "Diseases" is therefore redundant. Also, many of these things have IC ramifications. If I could tell if someone was under a Control, or whether an Incantor was actually doing a sanctuary or just faking it, or who was Embodying Unliving, just with a Healer scan, which the current vocals imply but the actual in-play rulings forbid, it makes a huge difference.

Therefore I'm saying we should change the Healer discern vocal so it doesn't actually break the rules.

Ananasii Offline
#9 Posted : 01 December 2012 23:23:34

Medals:

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 42 post(s)
You know, I've just spent a while trying to find anything in the rules that says that they're not picked up, and all I can actually find on Healers Detect abilities is this -

Quote:
Characters with the CS Healing or Physician can also Detect if the character is under the effects of any Damage Effect or poison. This detection takes 3 seconds of Concentration whilst holding their primary hand 2” (~5cm) away from the target and they must state, "Detect Wound, Pattern Effect, Poison or Disease" to the target player. This will enable them to determine how many body hits the character has left on each location. They will be aware if the target is under the effects of a poison but will not be aware of what kind of poison it is unless they have Poison Lore.

See edit below, which makes this a little redundant - Which seem to suggest that what you've been encountering it more an oversight, rather than "official rules" - remember the only official rules are those that are printed. Having said that, have you actually specificity reminded the people you are scanning that things like Control etc are pattern effects, or queried it with a ref? I know when I was playing an active healer I checked hundred of players each year, and never once though to double check that they were aware I could pick up anything other than what was killing them.

And yes, I agree it does have IC ramification, and yes detecting diseases and pattern effects does appear to redundant (though there have been cases of none standard diseases that don't have the same rules as printed)

All that said, having thoroughly checked through my rulebook I agree that it should have it's vocals changed (as should Detect Mortal Wounds), as, according to the definition of terms on p58, the correct response to all Detects is to loudly say "Ping" if the detect applies to you or something you are carrying

Edit - and yes, I appear to be blind and cant even read the first section of the rule I quoted. Though note that the term Damage Effect can apply to any spell (as noted at the top of the table of Damage Effects on p15
IC Kage-Kitsune Miso

OOC Wayne Caygill, just a player, nothing else
curious Offline
#10 Posted : 03 December 2012 09:32:38

Medals:

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Regarding that list of spells, there is obviously some errors in transposing spells from place to place. I cannot imagine why High Countermagic would be a pattern effect. A quick check at page 22 has anomalies. Standard/Light Incantation High Countermagic is not a pattern effect. Dark Incantation High Countermagic allegedly is. I didn't look further for other lists.

I'd accept that your interpretation of 'Discern Damage Effect' is literally correct, but this seems to be a quibble over wording. The last few years have thrown up a number of wording issues (see previous paragraph!), but I've never heard anyone claim the Healer discern would identify spell effects. The interpretation of the rules in play is quite clear. If not, I expect an errata correction will be made.

Making Discern Ancestral (etc) an IC vocal removes the debate of whether it is known or unknown. That seems to be the only benefit. There would be downsides - I think you can stil discern thigns while paralysed for example.
Sir Ophiuchus Offline
#11 Posted : 03 December 2012 21:01:39

Medals:

Agreed, the list is a total mess. The point I was making is that the current vocal is at best misleading and at worst actually wrong.

I wasn't going for the "damage effect" interpretation (though it was pointed out), but the fact that there are a lot of Pattern Effects that according to the vocal should be detectable by "Discern Wounds, Pattern Effects, Poisons and Diseases", yet it's generally played as though they're not.

I've had people (including people who play characters that can be Controlled) ask if a healer discern picks up Control effects. That's a big one. Similarly, you could make a good IC case for both Wasting and Sanctuary being picked up by a healer. Either Pattern Effects like this are detectable with the vocal (in which case that needs clarifying so it can be played IC), or they're not (in which case either the vocal needs changing or the limits of a healer's check need to be clarified, or both).

Regardless of which way it's ruled, I think the vocal needs cleaning up.

Edit: In general, knowledge about a healer scan is poor across the field. For example, a healer scan will tell the healer how many body hits the target has left on each location, which means you can use it IC to tell how tough someone is, even if they're in full health. This is playing entirely by the rules, but very few people know it because they tend to use the shorthand of "I'm injured this many times in these places".

curious Offline
#12 Posted : 04 December 2012 09:18:11

Medals:

As I wrote, I've not heard anyone claim that the healer/physician discern should identify durational spells, etc.

You're right that almost no-one responds as per the written rules, because to do so is usually less helpful/simple than as it is played (this is likely to be a hangover from rules 2 playing procedure, but having -1 hits left on an arm is just odd). I think that it would be extremely difficult to force the rules as written on the game.

I don't imagine that players' understanding of how to respond will change due to wording is tidied up. Players get it wrong. All manner of things are gained as replies - I've been told race, possessions, dismiss levels, beguiles, paladinhood.... I just filter out what I don't think I find out.

We agree that the wording is not perfect. If the office think an errata is needed, one will appear. Currently I think the as-played version is widely enough known, albeit not as per the written rules.Might any change then affect future flexibility?
Tort Offline
#13 Posted : 04 December 2012 20:16:02

Medals:

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
When doing training at the guild regarding the standard Healer Discern and learning wounds... I always let them know that it actually tells you the hits, but also point out this isn't what people will actually tell you, though what they actually tell you is often easier and less time consuming.

I also make sure to point out if they are using it to find out someone's un-injured hit points that they don't learn if they have any natural armour they don't learn about those extra hits! So this does somewhat cause a discrepancy with what you learn the way people tell you and what gets played... Personally I use the blag that if someones injured I just keep channelling until I can't channel into them anymore!

Also working in speech into your chant so you can communicate with your patient IC (once they are concious of course) is big and clever too!
Tooka Fatal
Advanced 'eeler from de Uzzzzzzz
Dean of the College of Life in the Healers Guild
Sir Ophiuchus Offline
#14 Posted : 05 December 2012 17:01:51

Medals:

curious wrote:
Players get it wrong. All manner of things are gained as replies - I've been told race, possessions, dismiss levels, beguiles, paladinhood.... I just filter out what I don't think I find out.

You're not kidding. I once had a player declare themselves dead when I checked them. A whispered conversation later, I explained to them that (a) that was not what they meant to say, and (b) they were telling people things they definitely shouldn't.

curious wrote:
We agree that the wording is not perfect. If the office think an errata is needed, one will appear. Currently I think the as-played version is widely enough known, albeit not as per the written rules.Might any change then affect future flexibility?

Definitely a fair point. Honestly, I'd settle for changing the vocal to be vaguer and keeping the rules intact, maybe with a clarification for those who read the nitty-gritty of the rules to make it clearer.

planegate Offline
#15 Posted : 05 December 2012 17:32:03

Medals:

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
90% of the time its people not reading the rules rather than an issue with them.
Voice of Sanity - "Was that useful? Click Thank"
Yes I can be sarcastic, when you read the rulebook... i'll stop... a bit :D
1 user thanked planegate for this useful post.
DM on 06/12/2012
Dok Offline
#16 Posted : 12 December 2012 19:17:33

Medals:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This leads into another area of discussion, re: Chant of Wasting and Sancutary.

As they are pattern effects, you should be able to pick up the difference with a Healer/Physician discern, both OC mechanically and IC common healer sense (I.e, they are getting worse/ they aren't getting worse respectively). Yes or No?

As I see it arguments are:

Yes - you are detecting pattern effects and thus an effect is currently on their pattern while the chanter is chanting

No - you cannot pick up these effects as they aren't Fatal, Paralysis, Petrification, Decay, Disease (I.e effects that you can cure)

From a practical sense, I've had both happen while playing a healer (obviously sanctuary is a common one) and the whole shouting about 'are you sure he/she is actually being sanctuaried?' thing always struck me as a common sense oversight. Either you know, or you don't. The IC fluff training over discerning patterns and wounds done with the guild (i,e the IC mechanics of looking at a persons pattern) suggests you should be able to spot the strange way a pattern is acting under sanctuary and wasting, and while you don't actually 'know' what spell vocals are when they are being cast, experience will tell you what certain people chanting over bodies may actually mean without it falling into the meta-game trap.

As a side note, anyone else roll their eyes any time they approach another faction's gate and get a heal discern on them to 'see if you are Unliving?'. Try harder guys, it isn't that easy!
Sir Ophiuchus Offline
#17 Posted : 13 December 2012 00:54:23

Medals:

Dok wrote:

As they are pattern effects, you should be able to pick up the difference with a Healer/Physician discern, both OC mechanically and IC common healer sense (I.e, they are getting worse/ they aren't getting worse respectively). Yes or No?

Based on the words you say, yes. Based on what the rulebook actually says it can detect, no. This is my main problem with the current wording.

Quote:
From a practical sense, I've had both happen while playing a healer (obviously sanctuary is a common one) and the whole shouting about 'are you sure he/she is actually being sanctuaried?' thing always struck me as a common sense oversight. Either you know, or you don't. The IC fluff training over discerning patterns and wounds done with the guild (i,e the IC mechanics of looking at a persons pattern) suggests you should be able to spot the strange way a pattern is acting under sanctuary and wasting, and while you don't actually 'know' what spell vocals are when they are being cast, experience will tell you what certain people chanting over bodies may actually mean without it falling into the meta-game trap.

This is another reason the whole issue would seriously benefit from some clarification. It would be nice to know what we can teach people at the Healers' Guild, for one. (Clarification: I'm just a player.)

Quote:
As a side note, anyone else roll their eyes any time they approach another faction's gate and get a heal discern on them to 'see if you are Unliving?'. Try harder guys, it isn't that easy!

Not to derail, but short version: that's not actually why that's done, and no, a healer discern can't tell that.

curious Offline
#18 Posted : 13 December 2012 10:03:36

Medals:

Dok wrote:

Isolated points:

1. I don't see why you should be able to tell if someone is under Sanctuary prior to the grace period expiring - the spell has no effect until that point. Once the Sanctuary is keeping them alive, the answer may be different.

2. Wasting: won't detecting if someone is under a wasting usually comes down to whether someone chanting over them? It's ben ruled that any innately cast chant must still have an IC vocal component. Pretending to cast the spell could have very restricted use.

3. I think this boils down to "does the Physician/healer Discern/Detect Pattern Effects allow you to detect active durational spells?". Current play suggests 'No' is the field interpretation.

3a. Is there a case for making active spells available under Advanced Pattern Scan?

Sir Ophiuchus Offline
#19 Posted : 14 December 2012 00:40:32

Medals:

curious wrote:
1. I don't see why you should be able to tell if someone is under Sanctuary prior to the grace period expiring - the spell has no effect until that point. Once the Sanctuary is keeping them alive, the answer may be different.

That's an interesting interpretation. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not sure the wording of Sanctuary supports the idea that the spell is doing nothing till you "die". Mechanically, yes, it has no effect until and unless you would die, but surely the spell effect is still there. The reason you might be able to tell is that it is a Pattern Effect.

curious wrote:
2. Wasting: won't detecting if someone is under a wasting usually comes down to whether someone chanting over them? It's ben ruled that any innately cast chant must still have an IC vocal component. Pretending to cast the spell could have very restricted use.

Unless you have a lammie/loresheet that says something like "Always under a Wasting effect." Or something like the lich auras at the Summer Moot is in effect, which auto-wasted anyone within them.

curious wrote:
3. I think this boils down to "does the Physician/healer Discern/Detect Pattern Effects allow you to detect active durational spells?". Current play suggests 'No' is the field interpretation.

More "does it allow you to detect all active Pattern Effects, which the discern wording says it does and the rulings tend to say it doesn't?". Thus the case for changing one or the other, if only to avoid confusion and miscommunication.

curious wrote:
3a. Is there a case for making active spells available under Advanced Pattern Scan?

If the ruling is that the "healer discern" doesn't pick up those sort of pattern effects (and the wording of it was made clearer), then yes, absolutely. Makes a niche skill cooler and more useful.

planegate Offline
#20 Posted : 14 December 2012 11:51:02

Medals:

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Isn't this all just spirit of the rules? its obvious what it actually means, if you want more info there is advanced patternscan.
Voice of Sanity - "Was that useful? Click Thank"
Yes I can be sarcastic, when you read the rulebook... i'll stop... a bit :D
Tag as favorite