Tag as favorite Previous Topic Next Topic
Joining the LT for 2013
JF_Phoenix Offline
#1 Posted : 07 January 2013 16:14:22

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello all!

My name is Josh. I've been looking at getting into larping for quite a while, but have never seemed to follow through with it until now. So 2013 will be the year I do!!

I've looked over the website and have already got a good idea of what goes on, how things are done and what I want to go ahead with. However, I wanted to get the opportunity to chat with some of you lovely people to learn more about the larping experience from people that frequent the LT.

Firstly, i'll describe what thoughts I've had since reading over the website. The Lorien Trust seems like a really nice, fun-filled environment filled with lots of friendly and supportive people. It has quite a detailed history, which was quite fascinating to read about, and plenty of different races, factions and guilds to choose from, each with their own unique histories and experiences.

This fills me with a really supportive and encouraging feeling that drives me to want to join you all even more!

After reading over most of the various factions information, I have developed a keen interest in several factions. But three really catch my eye, The Wolves, The Gryphons and The Bears (although the kilts make me worry haha).

So, i'd like to ask, which factions are recruiting at the moment? And how welcome would I be as a new member wanting to learn and help out as much as possible?

Your help would be most appreciated!

Hope to hear from you all soon!
x - J.Furlong - x

Quote:
The past is history.
The future is a mystery.
But the present is a gift.
That's why its called the present!
planegate Offline
#2 Posted : 07 January 2013 17:07:58

Medals:

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Most factions are always recruiting (well groups in partuclar), they all are pretty welcoming for new players, go with the one that fits a concept you have and think you will enjoy just remember keep things simple don't try and come in as a massive daemon overlord or death knight. My first even ever I went in very humble and just met alot of people and asked questions... theres alot to learn.
Voice of Sanity - "Was that useful? Click Thank"
Yes I can be sarcastic, when you read the rulebook... i'll stop... a bit :D
1 user thanked planegate for this useful post.
JF_Phoenix on 08/01/2013
JF_Phoenix Offline
#3 Posted : 07 January 2013 21:58:58

Medals:

Does there happen to be any Lions about? Would love a chat...

Or anybody for that matter! The more people I can chat to, the better lol.

I'd love to learn more about things...
x - J.Furlong - x

Quote:
The past is history.
The future is a mystery.
planegate Offline
#4 Posted : 07 January 2013 22:05:44

Medals:

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Try their FB group http://www.facebook.com/groups/2429296133/?fref=ts.
Voice of Sanity - "Was that useful? Click Thank"
Yes I can be sarcastic, when you read the rulebook... i'll stop... a bit :D
Salem Red Offline
#5 Posted : 07 January 2013 23:10:24

Medals:

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Do you have an idea of what sort of character you'd like to play?

If you can provide a starting point we could suggest where you might fit in best.
To be fair, all the factions have their pro's and cons so depending on which direction you'd like to take your character some would fit better than others...

Good guy, bad guy or something more neutral?
Law abiding citizens or outlaw gang?
Violent or passive?
Spy? Cop? Drunkard? Soldier? Village Idiot?
Fancy being a Werewolf or a Vampire?
Paladin or Warlock?
Spell slinger or a Healer maybe?

There are a lot of different ways you could go and you can always move faction if you change your mind.

Feel free to PM or post here if you have a concept you want to have a talk about, everyone here can offer advice!

Salem.
This character is now deceased, You will not get an IC response without a rite...
1 user thanked Salem Red for this useful post.
JF_Phoenix on 08/01/2013
JF_Phoenix Offline
#6 Posted : 07 January 2013 23:48:12

Medals:

I hope to play as the type of character that drives to protect the people in his life.

So, he wants to learn to fight and maybe have some skills in healing, but he mainly wants to learn how to protect people. So I can develop, he'll probably start as a nothing more than a civ wanting to learn and train.

Unless there is a name for that sort of character... lol
x - J.Furlong - x

Quote:
The past is history.
The future is a mystery.
Pictish5 Offline
#7 Posted : 08 January 2013 02:24:41

Medals:

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 6 post(s)
You don't have to wear a kilt but tartan is an advantage........... anyway, come and say hello on the Bears forum :-)

http://www.bearsfaction.org.uk/forum/
1 user thanked Pictish5 for this useful post.
JF_Phoenix on 08/01/2013
Sir Ophiuchus Offline
#8 Posted : 08 January 2013 02:49:39

Medals:

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I play in the Dragons as a mage/healer/bard, and am happy to talk about any of those.

All factions love new players - if you contact them directly you'll often find they'll be delighted to help you put a background together, help you stat your character, and put you in touch with a group (which is entirely optional - I'm deliberately not a group member, but it can help get you settled).

Any questions, ask away!
IC: Daire Ó Draoi
OC: Stephen from Ireland

Formerly Tomás Mac Carthaigh
1 user thanked Sir Ophiuchus for this useful post.
JF_Phoenix on 08/01/2013
Salem Red Offline
#9 Posted : 08 January 2013 11:07:53

Medals:

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 32 post(s)
JF_Phoenix wrote:
I hope to play as the type of character that drives to protect the people in his life.

So, he wants to learn to fight and maybe have some skills in healing, but he mainly wants to learn how to protect people. So I can develop, he'll probably start as a nothing more than a civ wanting to learn and train.

Unless there is a name for that sort of character... lol

To be fair, that's the kind of guy that everyone needs by their side so i'd say that counts as awesome!
Any and every faction wants that, but I think you'd probably fit best in the Lions as that's pretty much their ethos... Although again, depending on how fiercely loyal you want to be any faction would fit.

I'm a Tarantula but I can put you in touch with a Lion group leader if you like?
This character is now deceased, You will not get an IC response without a rite...
JF_Phoenix Offline
#10 Posted : 08 January 2013 11:16:14

Medals:

Thanks for all the help!

I've just registered on the Lions forums, so hope fully that's a step in the right direction :S

As far as groups go, a chance to chat to chat with a group would be awesome, thanks Salem!
x - J.Furlong - x

Quote:
The past is history.
The future is a mystery.
kirstar Offline
#11 Posted : 09 January 2013 10:58:01

Medals:

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Gryphons forum is here

http://gryphons.itsatrap.co.uk/index.php

Like everyone we are always welcoming to players new and old.

Personally I would suggest the Gryphons are the best. Totally unbiesed..... :)
Drace Lenoir
House GryphonDwarf
Captain of the Lifeguard.
Marshall 318

Dodgybren Offline
#12 Posted : 09 January 2013 17:10:07

Medals:

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Join the scouts guild. Factions are ok if you have to settle for not being in the scouts :-p
Bren Scouts 1ic.
all round dodgy Irish man
Yal Offline
#13 Posted : 10 January 2013 17:04:02

Medals:

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 38 post(s)
HI Chief,

The wolves have a forum over here --> http://www.wolf-faction.com/ and like all the factions they have a bunch of groups and individuals that are very very good at getting people up to speed and "in the game" very quickly.

Ignore Bren, there are a whole load of guilds you can get involved with ;o)
Operor non adepto cattus iratus , vos mos non amo him ut sit iratus.
recurve-ranger Offline
#14 Posted : 10 January 2013 17:36:21

Medals:

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Josh, welcome!

If you have any friends who are even remotely interested in LARPing, you should get them to go with you.
I've been to a few LARP events before on my own, but I enjoyed it 20 times more going to an LT event with some friends.

If there is no-one who will go with you, I would recommend going a day early and camping out, I don't know if the moots allow this but the Gathering certainly allows you to set up and camp on the Thursday. This allows you to make new friends OC before starting the game, and should make you feel more comfortable being IC.

Come and find the Coterie in the Unicorns faction and say hello. We are friendly. And we have cookies!
Unless you're a Viper...
OC: Dan
IC: Baxio the Elf, of the Coterie (Unicorns branch)
1 user thanked recurve-ranger for this useful post.
planegate on 10/01/2013
LARGEJO Offline
#15 Posted : 23 January 2013 08:23:27

Medals:

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I believe that all of the events allow Thursday camping for a small additional extra cost, although there is no IC action on the Thursday I recommend it (if you can afford the additional fee) since it allows you chance to chat with people out of character and have a few drinks with people from your own and other factions :)
"PRYD & FURY"
- Knight Captain of the Lions Military
- Member of the Armourers Guild.

Posts 02/04/10 - 01/04/12: Posting as Boom of House Rising Horn.
Posts before 01/04/10: Posting as Papa Babylon of the Sons of Meles Meles (Badgers).
OOC: John Large
Rindholwen Offline
#16 Posted : 31 January 2013 21:56:06

Medals:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi and Welcome. I am a Healer/Incantor so if you need any help just give me a shout. I'm also part of the wolves and in the Wolves I am a bumble bee. We are a group from all over the place but if you are looking for a group that has a lot of members in the same place as yourself (noticed you were in nottingham) then a group called Throsgaard have a lot of members ffrom notts and they even get together to practice hitting things/each other/how to fall down so the healers can see you :)

I'll let them know about this post and then one of them will come and say hi :)

Hope you will come and have a natter at the Bee's whichever group/faction you choose we are very nice and very helpful x

Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~The wind on the moon makes us all do strange things~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IC: Rindholwen, Bombus Terrestris High Incantor, Squishy on the wrong side of the Shield wall
OC : Michelle, Random person from Burnley
Moirdryd Offline
#17 Posted : 31 January 2013 22:15:58

Medals:

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The Bees are a cool lot for sure.
Maddyn
Ard Scabhta (High Scout) Dragons' Faction
Leinster's Lord of the Hunt
Chosen of Cerberus
Armourer sergeant
Bank runner

...generally a rather busy Wolf-Hound Beastkin
Fish12002 Offline
#18 Posted : 01 February 2013 15:18:19

Medals:

Out of the 3 factions you mention I'd go with gryphons.

They are slightly smaller than the other two which would make it a lot less intimidating starting out on your own. Your character concept fits in with pretty much anyone though. maybe try and flesh it out more, who does he want to protect? why? also what race are you thinking of playing? (obviously human has least makeup requirements)
IC: Verbrand, 2004-present, Viper

OOC: Jason Garfitt
crispin Offline
#19 Posted : 04 February 2013 05:27:19

Medals:

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hey there Josh... Welcome to the world of Larping! You will love it im sure!!!

First... Id say.... Let it slip on fb or similar that your gonna be going to Larp at Lorien Trust... You woudnt believe how many associates you already have probably Larp and dont always advertise! Im actually working with a guy at the moment, have been for 4 months and just found out he Larps by accident! (he had a Larp pouch in his car! So I asked him!)

Next, as always KIT... Not your character, but tent and comfort... Written on this site a million times... Take my word for it, you 'real life' kit is FAR more important than your in game stuff!

When you pitch your tent, you will be within the boundary of one of the factions... (if your not someone looking like security / ref will probably come off looking bemused at you!) whatever faction your in, make your self known. Each faction, at time in will hold a muster where most folks get in a group and chat, listen to news etc... THIS IS VITAL! After all, if the faction declare war on someone then you dont wanna be walking over to say hi to the enemy 5 mins later! (makin a new character within the first 10 mins sucks!)

At muster, new players get to introduce themselves... (a long into will get you shivved... ahem... I didnt say anything...) but gets your face known as an ally! Sometimes worth as a NEW player dropping in the line 'im new to these factional gatherings' which In Character lets everyone know its your first even and so welcome you that little quicker! Less 'spy' potential and easier for roleplay as, yea he fits... looks like a Jackal etc...

Then once youve mingled, get up the town guild areas... (the middle of the event area usually) and nose round! Lots of tempting bargains in the traders stalls and the Guilds themselves... In a guild it is VERY easy to make aquaintences! Walking round and chatting to people gets you involved in stuff, not talking to folks doesnt!

Oh, and look for the monster room! Go and volunteer to be a monster and get the feel for beingthe bad guys, learning the rules etc... Players are very forgiving when it comes to a monster being a lil 'dicey' on the rules... We love monsters after all, fun to chop into!

Apart from that lil prep talk of my usual nonsense... If you wanna know something, feel free to ask!

best of luck and im sure you'll love it!!!
Crispin 'many-named'
Founder & Master Scribe of the Adventurers Charter
2 users thanked crispin for this useful post.
planegate on 04/02/2013, Dodgybren on 04/02/2013
Tag as favorite