Tag as favorite Previous Topic Next Topic
Wedge mastery and Dismiss/Control +4
Galen MacRoth Offline
#1 Posted : 08 March 2013 15:09:14

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I was just wondering, do these stack, so you add 10 power to any wedge you are the head of?

Also, is that power 'free' or do you have to make it up with spell cards?
Ananasii Offline
#2 Posted : 08 March 2013 16:23:13

Medals:

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Dismiss/Control +4 replaces Wedge Mastery, so you no longer have it on your card (and it's previously been stated that even if you have an OS on your card that is a replaced Pre-Req of another OS on your card for some reason - usually Database Glitch - you don't gain the benefits of it).
- In short, No they do not stack on a single player.

Both OS's also state "you may add 4 to the power of any dismiss or control wedge/they cast , in addition to any spell cards they use" - So they are free.
IC Kage-Kitsune Miso

OOC Wayne Caygill, just a player, nothing else
Rich Whitaker Offline
#3 Posted : 09 March 2013 11:26:56

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Global Moderator

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Ananasii is correct.

Dismiss/Control +4 replaces Wedge Mastery - and even if the latter skill continues to appear on your character card it does nothing. (The reason replaced skills can continue to appear is because - at least on the versions of the database being used up to last year - the replacement has to be done manually, and sometimes it gets forgotten).

None of the skills in this ladder stack with each other, as each skill replaces the one below it.

The power these skills add is in addition to the cards you use, but you must use at least one card of your own for them to work.
Rich Whitaker
Forum Moderator (yes, that means this post is official unless it explicitly states otherwise)
Yal Offline
#4 Posted : 12 March 2013 16:50:44

Medals:

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 38 post(s)
If one is from the character, and one from an item do they then stack?

Operor non adepto cattus iratus , vos mos non amo him ut sit iratus.
Fish12002 Offline
#5 Posted : 12 March 2013 17:26:09

Medals:

That depends on the exact wording of the item. If the item says "grants the bearer the OS +4 dismiss control" then they do not stack. If it says "The bearer may add +4 to any dismiss/control attempts they make" then I would believe it would stack, but this is not garunteed.

If you are uncertain, you can get the item clarified at GOD.

My interpretation is that when you add the 4 you have to add exactly 4, not any number upto 4. Can I get this clarified?
IC: Verbrand, 2004-present, Viper

OOC: Jason Garfitt
Rich Whitaker Offline
#6 Posted : 13 March 2013 01:42:42

Medals:

Items will almost always specify that they grant the relevant OS, and thus do not stack.

In the highly unlikely event that they simply add +X then, as Jason says, they do stack.

Edit: Minor clarification added

Where the wording in the OS guide is "...allow the character to add up to n to the power..." (my emphasis) then it allows you to choose any integer amount between 0 and n.
Where it just says "...may add n to the power..>" then it always adds either exactly n or 0 (you may choose not to use the OS at all)

In summary:
Wedge Mastery adds exactly 4 when you are the focus of a wedge, or does nothing if you choose not to use it
Dismiss / Control +4 adds your choice of 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 regardless of whether you are the focus of a wedge or not
Wedge Mastery (Improved) adds your choice of either exactly 8 or nothing when you are the focus of a wedge, or your choice of 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 when you are not the focus of a wedge
Dismiss / Control +8 adds your choice of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 regardless of whether you are the focus of a wedge or not
Rich Whitaker
Forum Moderator (yes, that means this post is official unless it explicitly states otherwise)
1 user thanked Rich Whitaker for this useful post.
Fish12002 on 13/03/2013
Talesin Offline
#7 Posted : 13 March 2013 16:35:20

Medals:

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
interesting- will lead to some careful arranging of advanced wedge masters in some cases ? (though not often I suspect)

really clearly explained though , very useful thanks
Fish12002 Offline
#8 Posted : 13 March 2013 17:00:45

Medals:

Thanks Rich, I should have been clearer in my question. I was indeed talking about wedge mastery and improved wedge mastery at the head of a wedge.

I will copy your post to the incantors board.
IC: Verbrand, 2004-present, Viper

OOC: Jason Garfitt
Rich Whitaker Offline
#9 Posted : 13 March 2013 17:00:52

Medals:

I have added one clarification - because the wording in the Wedge Mastery versions is "......may add n to the power..." (my emphasis again), you can choose not to apply the skill at all - so it's actually a choice of exactly n or 0 (rather than automatically being exactly n, as previously stated)

Note also that the Control and Dismiss spells also allow a little fine-tuning, since you can choose whether to use 1 or 2 cards.
High Control and High Dismiss allow greater fine-tuning, as there you can choose which of 1, 2, 3 or 4 cards to use,
Rich Whitaker
Talesin Offline
#10 Posted : 15 March 2013 14:37:45

Medals:

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Just for absolute clarity, do you need to declare a type of dismiss, in the same way as a type of control. eg dismiss rank x or dismiss deamon rank x?

cheers
Ananasii Offline
#11 Posted : 15 March 2013 16:00:43

Medals:

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Nope - the Dismiss spell clearly states that it effects anything with a "dismiss rank equal to or lower than the level of the Dismiss cast".

Barring Lammie or Loresheet that states otherwise, there is no "Dismiss Unliving" or "Dismiss Daemon" - it's all just "Dismiss"
IC Kage-Kitsune Miso

OOC Wayne Caygill, just a player, nothing else
2 users thanked Ananasii for this useful post.
Rich Whitaker on 15/03/2013, planegate on 16/03/2013
Tag as favorite